Adopt Debt Free

Categories

Archives

3 Suitcases, 9 Flights, and 10 Days

by | Jun 25, 2012 | Africa, Mission Trips | 0 comments

I’d like to say that as I prepare for my first ever trip to Africa to share the love of Jesus with precious little children, I feel a heightened communication with God and a peaceful, restful calm that comes from knowing you are in the center of His will. Unfortunately, this is not the case. I do feel 100% confident that this trip is ordained by God and that He is delighted by our obedience to His Word. However, my thoughts are not peaceful, restful, or calm. Instead, they’re more like this:

“AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! I HAVE SO MUCH TO PACK!!! HOW ARE WE GONNA FIT ALL THIS IN THE SUITCASES? WAIT, WE HAVE MORE DONATIONS TO PICK UP?! WE NEED TO GO TO THE BANK! WE NEED TO COPY OUR PASSPORTS! WE NEED TO DO LAUNDRY!” etc. etc.

So, don’t think for a second that just because I’m a “missionary” that I have these oh-so-holy conversations with God. Hardly.

I am trying to make a conscious effort to focus my thoughts more on HIM and less on the TRIP. One thing our leader said last night is, “This is not a humanitarian trip, this is a mission from God.” And that really struck a chord with me. We are not just going to donate sheets and toys and other stuff. We are going to proclaim the kingdom of Christ. Above all else, it’s not about the donations, the packing, the logistics…it’s about Jesus. For me and my control-freak self, I’m trying to stress less about the details and focus more on worshiping God in spirit and in truth before, during, and after this mission trip.

And remember the picture of that big pile of donations in my last post? Well guess what, it’s nearly doubled in size. Which is SUCH a blessing, but also kind of an issue with packing. The top collage of pictures is all the stuff we got. It’s all gotta go into our 3 suitcases. Plus our clothes, toiletries, and stuff that we haven’t even started dealing with yet. We’ll keep ya posted on how packing goes over the next couple of days…

Anyways, we FINALLY received our flight information and trip itinerary!! Hooray! I’m going to post it on here so that y’all will be able to pray more specifically for us. You’ll know which days we are traveling, working in the orphanage, doing home visits, etc. Please pray for us and for those that we’ll meet!

First the flight schedule: only 9 flights in 10 days…no big…

28 June 11:00am BIRMINGHAM AL, to CHARLOTTE, NC 1:24pm
28 June 2:15pm CHARLOTTE, NC to WASHINGTON DULLES, DC 3:31pm
29 June – 30 June 11:15am WASHINGTON DULLES, DC to ADDIS ABABA, ETHIOPIA 7:45am
30 June 10:30am ADDIS ABABA, ETHIOPIA to KIGALI, RWANDA 12:00pm
04 July 4:00pm KIGALI, RWANDA to ADDIS ABABA, ETHIOPIA 7:30pm
07 Jul7 – 08 July 10:15pm ADDIS ABABA, ETHIOPIA to ROME, ITALY 3:25am
08 July 4:25am ROME, ITALY to WASHINGTON DULLES, DC 8:40am
08 July 1:40pm WASHINGTON DULLES, DC to CHARLOTTE, NC 2:57pm
08 July 3:59pm CHARLOTTE, NC to BIRMINGHAM AL, 4:14pm

And here’s our itinerary, detailing what we will be doing each day of the trip:

Thursday June 28
Early travelers arrive in DC.
Friday June29
Entire team meets at DC airport. Leave for Africa on Ethiopian Air
Saturday June 30
Arrive in Kigali at noon after a short layover in Addis. Clear customs, meet Jane and head to the hotel. Dinner with Jean Claude who ministers to “street children”
Sunday July 1
Visit the Genocide Memorial Museum in Kigali in the morning. After lunch head to Gisenyi (3 hour drive). Visit the girls at Number 41 sewing ministry and check into the hotel.
Monday and Tuesday July 2-3
We will spend these days with the kids at Noel Orphanage and the girls at Number 41 sewing ministry.
Wednesday July 4
Drive back to Kigali for lunch and your 4:00 PM flight to Addis, Ethiopia. Arrive in Addis at 7:30 PM and check into the Ethiopian Guest House.
Thursday July 5
Visit the kids at the village of Korah with Project 61 ministry. Home visits with families and a visit to the ALERT Hospital. Dinner at a traditional Ethiopian Restaurant.
Friday July6
You will be back at Korah with Project 61. Provide lunch to the kids and visit with the ladies of Mission Ethiopia.
Saturday July 7
Love on kids at Kibebe Tsehay orphanage. Eat lunch out and do some shopping. Dinner and packing at the EGH before catching your 10 PM flight back to the States.
Sunday July 8
Arrive in DC in the morning, clear customs and catch your flight back home. Warm showers, a soft bed and ice in your drink await!